R. James Toussaint, MD

Clinical Associate Professor and Division Chief

Division: Foot and Ankle

CONTACT

Email: toussrj@ortho.ufl.edu

AreaS OF INTEREST

Achilles tendon repair, Ankle arthroscopy, Ankle pain, Broken bone, Bunions, Charcot foot, Flat feet, Foot drop, Foot pain, Hammer toe, Heel pain, High arch, Neuromuscular disorders, Rheumatoid arthritis, Sprains, Tendon repair

ABOUT

HOMEPAGE
Bio:

My name is R. James Toussaint, MD. I am the chief of the foot and ankle division in the department of orthopaedic surgery and sports medicine. As a surgeon, I specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of orthopaedic injuries, with a particular interest in degenerative, traumatic and sports-related foot and ankle disorders.

I earned my bachelor’s degree in economics from the University of Chicago. Then, I graduated with my medical degree from the New York University Grossman School of Medicine. I also pursued a residency in orthopaedic surgery at Harvard Medical School and a fellowship in orthopaedic surgery, with a focus on foot and ankle, at OrthoCarolina Foot and Ankle Institute in Charlotte, North Carolina.

In addition to teaching as a clinical associate professor at the University of Florida College of Medicine, I also practice at the UF Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine Institute. I became an orthopaedic surgeon because I enjoy body’s complex anatomy and I want to help my patients regain their mobility. I am constantly thinking of new ways to treat foot and ankle disorders, and I’ve published research articles about traumatic disorders to provide care in disaster situations. This is important to me, as I have experience treating victims of the 2013 Boston Marathon bombings and providing care in Haiti following the 2010 earthquake.

Something that patients should know about me is that I always consider the spectrum of nonoperative treatments first. But if surgery is necessary, I encourage patients to ask questions and engage in shared decision making so that they feel comfortable with their treatment choice.

Outside of medicine, I enjoy collecting art and visiting art museums, especially UF’s Harn Museum of Art. I used to compete as a collegiate wrestler and I compete in triathlons when time permits. In 2021, I became a co-owner of the North Carolina Courage, one of the clubs in the National Women’s Soccer League.

IN THE NEWS:

Dr. Toussaint Uses 3D Printing Technology for Total Talus and Ankle Replacement Surgery

EDUCATION

• Fellowship, Foot and Ankle, OrthoCarolina Foot and Ankle Institute
  • Residency, Orthopaedic Surgery, Harvard Medical School
  • Medical School, New York University School of Medicine
  • Bachelor of Arts, Economics, University of Chicago

Publications

• Gonzalez TA, Ehrlichman LK, Macaulay AA, Gitajn IL, Toussaint RJ, Zurakowski D, Kwon JY. Determining Measurement Error for Bohler’s Angle and the Effect of X-Ray Obliquity on Accuracy. Foot Ankle Spec. 2016 Oct;9(5):409-16.
  • Wusu TO, Toussaint RJ, Ellington JK, Kwon JY. The posterior medial blind spot of the distal tibia: implications for surgical fixation. Foot Ankle Spec. 2015 Feb;8(1):46-9.
  • Gitajn IL, Abousayed M, Toussaint RJ, Vrahas M, Kwon JY. Calcaneal avulsion fractures: a case series of 33 patients describing prognostic factors and outcomes. Foot Ankle Spec. 2015 Feb;8(1):10-7.
  • Toussaint RJ, Bergeron SG, Weaver MJ, Tornetta P 3rd, Vrahas MS, Harris MB. The effect of the Massachusetts healthcare reform on the uninsured rate of the orthopaedic trauma population. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2014 Aug 20;96(16):e141.
  • Ehrlichman LK, Toussaint RJ, Kwon JY. Surgical relocation of peroneal tendon dislocation with calcaneal open reduction and internal fixation: technique tip. Foot Ankle Int. 2014 Sep;35(9):938-42.
  • Gitajn IL, Abousayed M, Toussaint RJ, Ting B, Jin J, Kwon JY. Anatomic Alignment and Integrity of the Sustentaculum Tali in Intra-Articular Calcaneal Fractures: Is the Sustentaculum Tali Truly Constant? J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2014 Jun 18;96(12):1000-1005.
  • Toussaint RJ, Lin D, Ehrlichman LK, Ellington JK, Strasser N, Kwon JY. Peroneal tendon displacement accompanying intra-articular calcaneal fractures. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2014 Feb 19;96(4):310-5.
    * Awarded Best Clinical Research Paper, Harvard Combined Orthopaedics Residency Program *
  • Abousayed MM, Toussaint RJ, Kwon JY. The Use of Dual C-Arms During Fixation of Calcaneal Fractures: A Technique Tip. Foot Ankle Spec. 2013 Dec 10.
  • Toussaint RJ, Gitajn IL, Kwon JY. Measuring Bohler’s Angle with Oblique Lateral Radiographs: Implications for Management of Calcaneal Fractures. The Orthopaedic Journal at Harvard Medical School. 15:7, 2013 Dec.
  • Toussaint RJ, Abousayed MM, Kwon JY. Preventing Falls in the Operating Room: A Technique Tip for Safely Tilting the Operating Table. Foot Ankle Spec. 2013 Jul 17.
  • Gitajn IL, Toussaint RJ, Kwon JY. Assessing accuracy of sustentaculum screw placement during calcaneal fixation. Foot Ankle Int. 2013;34(2):282-6.
  • Smith RM, Dyer GS, Toussaint RJ, et al. Disaster Triage after the Haitian Earthquake. Injury. 2012;43(11):1811-5.
  • Toussaint RJ. My Experience in Haiti – Ten Days after the Earthquake. The Orthopaedic Journal at Harvard Medical School. 12:61, 2010 Oct.
  • Alfonso DT, Toussaint RJ, Alfonso BD, et al. Nonsurgical complications after total hip and knee arthroplasty. American Journal of Orthopedics. 2006;35(11):503-10.